Saturday, April 18, 2009

Birth, Marriage, and Death

Birth, marriage, and death are probably the most defining events of one's life. Saturday, April 18, had a mix of all three of those for me - not personally - but very bittersweet nonetheless.


April 18 is the day to celebrate my dad's birth. 84 years!!! So, Happy Birthday, Dad. I have to say, he is a very healthy man for 84-years-old. I hope we are celebrating birthdays with him for several more years to come.



April 18 this year was the wedding date for a young friend Stuart Campbell. I got to help him and his bride, Bonnie, celebrate by attending an open house for them in the afternoon. May they have continued and increasing joy and happiness - for time and eternity.



Finally, today was the day a very dear friend, Karin Vandenberg, passed away. This was totally a tragedy and freak accident. I am still in shock. She was hiking with her son, Cole, and two friends and their teenage son. Somehow she slipped and slid/fell 1000 feet to her death. The two teenage boys, trying to help her also slid, were very badly injured and airlifted to Primary Children's Medical Center. She was a very young 49 years old, athlete extraordinaire, and awesome wife, mom, daughter, friend. I am blessed to call her my friend. She will be missed!!!



Karin and her husband, Steve, at last year's MS 150 bike ride.

My thoughts are with Steve and their children, Cole (and for a full and quick recovery) and Jack, and her parents and extended family.

1 comment:

  1. (I will try that again.) So sorry about your friend. I will be thinking about you this week. Events like this makes me more thankful that we have the Atonement. Good luck on the garden. I hope to enjoy seeing it grow throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete