Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cave Falls

Sunday, August 3, after church Lois and Allen Suski met up at my house to drive up to Cave Falls for a picnic and to do the short hike to Bechler Falls. If you haven't been to Cave Falls or are not familiar with where it is, it's in the very southwest corner of Yellowstone National Park. It's a very pretty drive and not too far from my home...just a little over an hour.

Allen and Lois relaxing by the Falls River while dinner was cooking on the grill.

This is the view of the Falls River from our picnic spot.

Cave Falls
When I was growing up, we had a painting in our home of some falls in Yellowstone National Park. My grandparents had a similar picture of some falls in Yellowstone. (I seem to remember the one my grandparents had had an elk standing in the water, ours didn't.) For all the visits I had taken to Yellowstone, I had never seen any falls that resembled the falls in those paintings...until I visited Cave Falls. The first time I saw Cave Falls, I knew that was the setting of those paintings that I remember from my childhood. This is a beautiful place!

Approaching Bechler Falls

After our picnic of grilled chicken we hiked up to Bechler Falls. It is a very easy hike, and very pretty. The only negative aspect of this hike is the MOSQUITOS!!! I thought about mosquito repellant at about Chester (between St. Anthony and Ashton). Too late to go back. So we took our chances. We were swatting mosquitos all the way up to Bechler Falls and all the way back. We probably each had about 100 bites by the time we got back to the car. No exaggeration!! Note to self: Next time DO NOT forget bug spray.

Bechler Falls

It was a nice picnic, a beautiful drive, good company, and a nice Sunday hike - even with the mosquitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment