Friday, August 22, 2008

Box Elder County Fair

I have an annual tradition of going to the Box Elder County Fair in Tremonton. I am by no means biased, but I think it's the best county fair in the state of Utah. It has always been and still is free of charge to attend, and it gives me the chance to see friends that I know from my childhood - and even extended family - that I may not otherwise keep in touch with. It also reminds me of how blessed I am to have farming roots and be raised in such a friendly community.

The routine is that I drive down to Tremonton, meet Dad there, walk around to see the exhibits, handicrafts, and livestock, eat a "Farm Bureau" hamburger, and then I head back home to Idaho and he goes home to Riverdale.


This year an added treat was that my brother, Gale, was visiting from New York, and he joined us at the County Fair. It was a great time!

Dad and Gale - by the lambs



While walking through the dairy cow area we stopped to watch a couple of gentlemen, Keevin Nelson and his son-in-law Matt, getting this cow ready to show. It takes a lot of effort to have livestock at the fair.


I have some cousins, Doug Payne and Peggy Payne Nelson, whose children have pigs at the fair each year - at least they have for the last several years. I usually run into them when going through the pig shed.

Peggy (Payne) Nelson, her husband John and their youngest son.

Gale and Dad - Gale works for John Deere and has for most of his working career. So I had to take a picture of them by a John Deere tractor - and note the John Deere caps.

Gale, Dad, and Doug Payne - visiting by the tractor "exhibits".

No comments:

Post a Comment